Analysis

 Reading 04

I began my research for this week by returning to Google Scholarly.  I decided I wanted to refine my search even more by adding a custom date range. I set the range to 2010 - 2021. I did this as I wanted to find relatively more recent papers to read. This brought the number of results found all the way down to 17,000 results from 100,000. I then started to scroll and search for readings that related to my topic in particular.  

First of all, I would like to add some links of articles I believe would be useful to me, but it appears that you must purchase them to be able to read all the paper. 

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/15252019.2010.10722169?needAccess=true 

This is the first paper I found which caught my attention. I registered and made an account on the website, but it seems you still have to pay for the full article. If anyone is familiar with the webpage and knows a way to read full articles without purchasing them, please let me know.   

This is the next reading which appeared useful to me. 

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1094996813000170 

Using the three-step method I began to read through the paper.

 From reading the abstract and skimming through headings and sub - headings I believe that this reading is one that will prove valuable to my research and work over the next couple of weeks. I know from reading the abstract that the author discusses what creates value in video games. I also know that the author develops a conceptual framework of value creation through video games. This tell me that this reading is analytical. Another thing I know about this reading from my first look through it is that the author uses their findings to provide future research opportunities.   

The reading begins by discussing the enormous growth of the video game industry over the past 25 years. The value of video games has rapidly grown and has become a massive industry. "Sales of so-called virtual goods within games generated an additional $14.8 billion in 2012. These totals are about five times higher than global music revenues ($16.5 billion in 2012), higher than book sales ($69.4 billion in 2011), and similar to movie revenues ($85 billion in 2011)." Andre Marchand. (2013) 'Value Creation in the Video Game Industry: Economics, Consumer Benefits, and Research Opportunities' 27 (3), p. 1. This clearly highlights how the video game industry is currently the fastest and most appealing industry there is. 

The author comes up with a conceptual framework to determine how value is generated in the video game industry. The framework specifies the constituent’s relationship which includes key players, products and channels. The framework also recognizes the important roles of three particular institutions. The first being the link to other entertainment industries like movies. The second is basically that the value of games is dependent on the technological infrastructure. Lastly, the impact consumers have on the individual’s opinion of the games value. 



Conceptual Framework

Also, in this reading the author asks the questions, "Who Plays?", and "Why do they play?". I understand how asking and answering these questions will prove valuable to the marketing of a video game. To answer the question who plays games, the average age of console game consumers in the United States is 37 years and 42% of players are women. Approximately three quarters of American household spend money on games today (TheEconimist 2011). 

Towards the end of the reading the author discusses the importance of branding when it comes to games. Another topic that is discussed is the move from physical to digital copies of games. I believe these topics could be something I discuss in my part of the book.  I am not going to elaborate on these topics for now as I have spent around 2 hours reading and writing about this one article. I will most definitely return to this piece of writing to further analyze and discuss the many relatable topics I have found inside it.


This is the next source I have found that interests me. It is called "Computers in Human Behavior" and the author discusses "When and why is perceived congruity important for in-game advertising in fantasy games?". https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0747563216305520?via%3Dihub

From reading the highlights, abstract, headings and sub-headings I know that this reading talks about in game advertisement in fantasy games. They discuss when and why is perceived congruity important for in game advertising. From my understanding perceived congruity is how well the advertisements fit into games without disrupting anything. The author of this piece carries out an experimental study where they use actual fantasy game players. The results of the study show that the perceived congruity of in game advertising reduces perceived intrusiveness of the advertisement and also positively contributes to the recognized realism of the fantasy game. 

Framework

Like most pieces I have read the author begins by mentioning the huge growth in the video game industry. Throughout, the author discusses the difficulty of advertising in a fantasy game. This makes perfect sense as you are more likely to see a real life advertisement in a game that is meant to replicate real-life and not fantasy. This is why congruity is important when it comes to in game
 advertisement. Studies show that IGA congruity exerts positive effects on players' attitudes and behavior towards the advertisements and the advertised brands and products, whist incongruent IGA results in negative effects and may not lead to the avoidance of games that include IGA.(Chang et al., 2010Huang and Yang, 2012Lee and Faber, 2007Nelson et al., 2004). Results also found that players are more likely to react positively to advertisements if they are related to the context of the game.

The author then creates a four hypothesis' on why congruity leads to positive ad responses. Advertisements are intrusive when they interrupt the results we want to achieve. This is why it is so important that advertainments in games are not viewed this way. 

The first hypothesis they come up with is "Perceived congruity exerts a positive effect on players' (a) attitude towards the IGA and (b) play intention of the fantasy game, mediated by a decrease in perceived intrusiveness of the IGA."

The second hypothesis they create is "Perceived congruity exerts a positive effect on players' (a) attitude towards the IGA and (b) play intention of the fantasy game, mediated by an increase in perceived realism of the fantasy game."

The third hypothesis is " The indirect effect of the perceived congruity of the IGA on players' (a) attitude towards the IGA and (b) play intention of the fantasy game through the perceived intrusiveness of the IGA is more positive with increasing levels of perceived IGA interactivity" 

Lastly, the fourth hypothesis is " The indirect effect of the perceived congruity of the IGA on players' (a) attitude towards the IGA and (b) play intention of the fantasy game through the perceived realism of the fantasy game is more positive with increasing levels of perceived IGA interactivity. 

To conclude this reading. The studies show that the perceived congruity of an IGA benefits fantasy game players' attitude toward the IGA as well as their intention to play the specific fantasy game (Lee and Faber, 2007Lewis and Porter, 2010). I will certainly be returning to this source to analyze it further as there are many interesting and important ideas discussed inside this reading. I also would like to get a better understanding of the figures and results of their testing. 


Sources still to read 

These are a number of sources I have found which I plan to read as I believe they could prove important to my work!






Comments

Popular Posts