Unity Tutorial 01

 

Tutorial 01

In this week's Unity tutorial I have decided to chose option one out of the three options of tutorials. Option one contains a series of 2D Unity development tutorials. The 2D game I will be creating is named Ruby's Adventure. The tutorials are split up into four different sections each containing their own individual instructions. 

  1. Setting Up the Unity Editor 
  2. Main Character and First Script 
  3. Character Controller and Keyboard Input
  4. World Design - Tilemaps
Setting up my Unity editor was a quick and steady process which included a number of updated, downloads and imports. During this lesson I once again familiarized myself with the layout, navigation and toolbars inside Unity.

The next step was to add in the main character Ruby into the scene and apply my first script to Ruby. I had to add a sprite renderer to Ruby's character in order for it to display on screen. I then went on to add a C# Script and named it RubyController. This step was achievable as it is something I am familiar with from Multimedia Development 1. 

The following lesson was mainly on keyboard inputs and controlling the character. Throughout the tutorial I was instructed to run multiple tests and adjustments in order for me to understand exactly how my character is moving.

In the final part of this weeks tutorial I learned about tilemaps. Tilemaps create a grid in the world, you can then set a different sprite in each grid cell. This makes it much easier to make larger images and make direct changes in Unity. To finish up this lesson I created an image using tiles and tilemaps. 

Overall, I enjoyed this Unity tutorial. Including the blog It took me slightly longer than I expected to complete but this is something I can work on in the future. I am looking forward to competing more Tutorials and creating the complete game. 


Ruby's Adventure 








Comments

Popular Posts